3Vision Insight - iflix
08 Jun 2017
In this insight we take a look at iflix, who with their launch in the Middle East have now expanded their global reach to one billion.
Competition to the global streaming services of Netflix and Amazon is taking different shapes. Local players are emerging in many markets, and we see the growing ambitions of a number of regionally-focused players like iflix, Showmax and HOOQ. iflix launched in 2015 and are focused on delivering a low-cost proposition with a strong localised content strategy.
Emerging market challenges such as data costs, broadband infrastructure, piracy and payment options present significant barriers to adoption for SVOD. As a specialist in these conditions iflix has positioned it’s product to address these issues in Asia, the Middle East, and soon, Africa. It’s a costly business, but iflix have secured strong funding and have a number of leading media businesses as shareholders, including Sky, MGM and Liberty Global.
- Emerging market SVOD challenger
- Differentiated - affordable - pricing strategy not exceeding US$3 in all Asian markets
- Raised over $180 million in funding, including leading Media Cos such as Sky, Liberty Global
- Acquiring significant content line-up, with some first window exclusive content from Major Studios and extensive local market content
- Addressing demand for local content through collaborations with talent in each market, including hit TV shows 24 hours after broadcast
- Partnering with local telcos key to early growth
- Well placed to challenge, securing experienced media executives and strong investment
For your copy of our iflix Insight, contact us here.