Building and operating satellites requires substantial capital investment and is a long-term undertaking. Therefore SES must have extremely thorough and robust information to support its decision-making processes.
SES approached 3Vision to help understand current and future broadcaster requirements in a particular region.
We first worked closely with SES to understand the key issues that needed to be researched, such as:
- Current and future use of satellite and fiber technology for distribution
- Key factors driving selection of satellite provider and levels of satisfaction
- Trends and drivers around HD, 3D and UHD
- Uptake of MPEG4 and growth projections
3Vision then identified a comprehensive cross section of broadcasters to research, ranging from local TV channels operating in just one country through to large channel groups owned by major international media companies.
We then identified the relevant decision-making executives at the companies using our broad network of contacts and made contact and interviewed them using a specially created questionnaire. Our approach is unique in that we are able to gain cooperation from hard to reach senior executives at these companies as we either already know them, or obtain a personal introduction via our pre-existing network.
Once the data was gathered, we analysed it to identify important insights for SES to help guide their future investments. Examples of the areas covered included:
Get in touch
- Likely demand for satellite capacity
- Emphasis on HD
- Interest in 3D and 4K
- Level of potential competition from fibre delivery